Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Violent Acts

Today I heard about the gruesome, despicable murder of Jorge Steven Lopez Mercado.  I'm so disgusted that yet another young gay man has been murdered by another violent narcissist.  The murders of James Byrd, Jr. and Matthew Sheppard are fresh on my mind because they were discussed so much last week when the new federal anti-hate crime legislation became official. 
I take measures to feel "safe" in my daily life as an "out" queer person, but news of another horrific murder makes me feel at risk.  It touches a deep childhood fear.  I often feared for my corporal safety when I was growing up.  In my small Texas town, people were not taught to control their tempers.  Husbands beat wives, husbands and wives beat children, children beat each other.  Now, my world feels less-violent, but maybe that's because I live in a city where people are more tolerant of differences, and not in a small town.  Though conflicts can usually be rationally solved (and differences can be calmly respected), violent, narcissistic tempers still produce heinous acts of murder and torture.  The human capacity for violence is vast and scary.
This situation must be so, so heartbreaking for this beautiful young man's family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment