Saturday, November 21, 2009

Talk Normal + Silver Interior = Love

I moved around Backspace several times before I found a good position to hear Talk Normal last night and unfortunately it meant sacrificing being able to actually see the band.  By the time they arrived at their last song (my favorite on the new album) "In A Strange Land," I could hear everything in balance but was standing at the back of the audience, leaning against the computer station.  Hoping the lack of PA/sound person at the Voyeur in Olympia tonight will allow the band to present themselves as they are meant to be heard.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I love this band.
I spent the first half of their set just behind drummer Andrya Ambro, who impressed me not only with her brutal, barbaric drumming style but with her hot coal-walker "fancy dance" as she played.  I had the fortunate opportunity of spending time with Andrya prior to the show.  I loved her the moment she let me in Christina's front door:  good energy, tea drinker... Thumbs up.  I was already a huge fan of the band's string-master Sarah Register (despite her faulty claim that she is able to psychically determine if someone is from Texas).
The duo had a cohesive energy live.  They are for real.  Was really psyched to see Sarah's amp set up - she had her guitar going through guitar and bass amps on stage and could kick the output of each one on and off with a pedal.  Smart!
Silver Interior's first live set with Tara on 2nd guitar and percussion was so, so fun.  I have the best time playing with Christina and Tara and feel like we meet on another plane.  Later, hearing the weird sound system issues with the other bands, I was knocked off my cloud a bit, worried that our sound might have been off.
After the show last night I stopped in at Boxxes "Latino Night" briefly for a very bad Patron Cosmo before heading out to The Blue Parrot in St. Johns.  My friend Andrea was bartending.  Tyler and Mesha were saddled up to the bar keeping her company and scores of gay men and the women who love them were keeping her busy with drink orders.  I peaked into the Karaoke room.  People were really happy in there and dancing to all of the singers.  I walked up to the KJ and asked if he had "Erotic City" by Prince.  He put me on stage immediately and it was fun to have a full dance floor while I sang.  Two shows in one night, ha...
I went home around 2:30am and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.  I had been up since 7:45am.
Its now almost noon and I'm typing in bed.  Excited to play again tonight.  Excited to see friends in Olympia.  Excited to see Talk Normal again.  Excited.  (Maybe that's the 2 huge glasses of Irish Breakfast tea type-talking?  Nope.  Excited).

No comments:

Post a Comment