Monday, November 23, 2009

wweeeekkeenndd were-yore

Listening to the Throbbing Gristle station on Pandora.
What a weekend.  It was good... 
The drive to Olympia was memorable.  Getting to play DJ on Tara's I-Pod ruled.  We heard John Cale, John Coltrane, Hall & Oats, Cocteau Twins, Joy Division, Suicide, Kate Bush, Laura Nero...  All the while, Tara was driving in heavy traffic in a torrential downpour.  We all enjoyed singing along to "Kiss On My List" during the Hall & Oats portion of our drive.
Christina, Sarah, Tara, and I met Ted Kwo, who was promoting the show that night, at Quality Burrito for dinner.  We were soon joined by Claudia and Megan.  In addition to really enjoying my burrito, I greatly enjoyed my QB Classic Margarita with salt, sugar and cayenne on the rim.
We were at the Voyeur about 40 minutes before the show started.  Was happy to see Rachael and other familiar faces.  It had been a week since the terrible phone conversation I had with X.  I gave myself a moment alone with a cup of tea to acknowledge "feelings" before I got into "show mode."  "My feelings are still hurt."  "I am relieved at the thought of not being in a position to get my feelings hurt over and over by X in the future."  "I am happy to be out of town."  "I am happy to be playing music with friends."  "I am happy to see bands I like tonight."  "I am happy for this cup of tea."
Though the Voyeur has much less of a sound system than Backspace, as I suspected, all of the bands sounded waaaaay better at the Olympia show.  Wet Hair played an especially good set.  Talk Normal was amazing.  Broken Water were great and had mind-blowing video on the wall behind them during their set.
After the show we had a fun slumber party back at Kwo's place.  Christina was playing unplugged electric guitar on the couch and it sounded so good with the record Kwo had put on.  I drank a Coors Light, made jokes with Kwo, Claudia, and Megan, hung out in the alley with Katherine, and fell asleep on Kwo's couch at 3am or so.
Tara texted at 8:50am that she was on her way to pick me up to go home.  It was her birthday and we were getting an early start so she could go to the woods (and so I could be on time for Pancake Sunday at my house).   I put on my shoes and coat, grabbed my cable and pedal bag, and went out into the rain to wait for her.  We stopped for coffee and tea at a place called Sizizis.  I want the inside of Sizizis to be my bedroom!  Solid, dark oak everything.  I arrived home in time to eat Kaia's delicious buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup and a portion of Chelsea's amazing fritata.  Food with friends is the best.
I worked on the music and media room in the basement.  I set up my PA, amps, and a drum kit and organized the stringed instruments and trumpet parts.  Next on the agenda:  move cabinet and TV (thanks Debbie Fox!) into room, acquire shelves to organize pedals and cables, acquire small table to host my tape machine, jam in the basement all winter long...

No comments:

Post a Comment